News > Languedoc

Languedoc

Boulou man dies after pétanque ball explodes in barbecue

The Local, Apr 20

A 31-year-old man has died after a metal pétanque ball exploded in his barbecue.

The boule de petanque had been left inside the barbecue under the grill along with the hot charcoals as the man cooked in the garden of his home in Boulou, Pyrénées-Orientales.

The ball heated up to a point when it became so hot it exploded, according to initial reports from firefighters who attended the scene.

The explosion sent metal fragments into the man's face. A doctor was sent to the scene by helicopter and paramedics also attended but were unable to save the man, who died from head injuries.

Three young children, their father and the mother of the victim were also in the garden at the time but were not injured.

Firefighters told FranceInfo they had no idea that the balls used for petanque could explode under searing heat. It was not clear whether the ball had been placed in the BBQ on purpose or had been left there by accident unbeknown to the victim.

Pétanque balls are made from "two major types of steel - carbon steel and stainless steel" that are hollow in the middle and weigh between 600 and 800 grams.

 

Similar Stories

Languedoc

Tribute to the victims of Millas school…

Six school children died on 14 December 2017, when a train collided with a school…

France 3/Scoop, Dec 14

Languedoc

Hérault school children poisoned

Several students at the Servian college in the Hérault were suspected of…

France 3/Scoop, Dec 14

Languedoc

Autopsy on whale revealed it died of exhaustion

The whale which was found at the port of Saint-Cyprien on Tuesday of this week was…

MidiLibre/Scoop, Dec 14

Languedoc

Arson at McDonald’s in Frontignan

Firefighters from the Thau Basin, Sète, Frontignan and Balaruc were called…

France 3/Scoop, Dec 13