News > Languedoc

Languedoc

Man dies, mistaking edible plant with toxic plant

LanguedocLiving, Jun 10

A couple and a friend were out walking near Alénya in the Pyrénées-Orientales, and they picked a plant which they thought was coscoll, or couscouil, a Catalan plant traditionally eaten in a salad, or macerated in alcohol to make a local drink.

Actually what they picked was aconite, also known as wolf’s bane, which is very toxic.

After ingesting the plant, the man died on Saturday, and the two women were quickly hospitalised in Perpignan. One of the women is very ill. The plant was a very toxic mountain plant of the Ranunculaceae family.

Please take care if you are harvesting plants and mushrooms in the wild. Make sure you know what you are picking, and if in doubt either leave it alone, or get it checked out. Most pharmacies will check mushrooms for you, and some will also identify edible plants.

Similar Stories

Languedoc

Montpellier’s Rémi Gaillard appeals to…

Rémi Gaillard, the Montpellier comedian and activist for animal causes, published…

LanguedocLiving, Feb 20

Languedoc

Homemade bomb explodes in Villeneuve-lès-Avignon

On Monday at 10pm, a home made bomb exploded in Villeneuve-lès-Avignon. The…

MidiLibre/Scoop, Feb 19

Languedoc

Jam sandwiches disguise dangerous drug

A carer from Castelnau-le-Lez, near Montpellier, was sentenced to 3 years in prison…

France 3/Scoop, Feb 19

Languedoc

Fire destroys 40 cars and a forest

This weekend, a fire broke out near the town of Saint-Cécile-D’andorge…

MidiLibre/Scoop, Feb 19