More information on Confinement forms (updated)


Thanks for all your feedback, questions and information.  Please keep us updated with your own personal experiences.

Cycling is discouraged, and at the moment you could be subjected to a telling off depending on the area you live in, but currently it is not shown as banned on the government website.  Some police forces are enforcing it as “sporting activity” as opposed to personal exercise, others are not. The interior minister’s current line is that if it keeps you sane, OK, but try and do it less often!

When exercising outside, you must remain within 2km of your home.

You absolutely need a form of your own, even if you are travelling with another person.  It’s a form per person, per movement.

For the avoidance of doubt, a new form is needed every time you go out.  The date has to be current. Whether or not it’s permitted to use the same form and tick the reason and indicate the date with a pencil, is not clear.

You need to have a printed or handwritten copy on your person.  A photo on your phone is currently not permitted, although authorities are looking into an electronic version.

You should also be aware that the fine has now increased from €38-€138 to €38-€135, and then a whopping €375 if it is not paid within 45 days.

Contrary to popular belief, the police handling of the checks is indeed active and joined up.  They are stopping people on foot, and people in cars.

Here is the translation of the sections, and below that are the list of establishments that should be open.


In application of article 1 of the decree issued on 16 March 2020 concerning movements in the context of the fight against the spread of the virus Covid 19:

I the undersigned:
Date of birth:

Certify my journey is related to the following reason (tick the box) authorised by Article 1 of the Decree of 16 March 2020, regulating movements in the context of the fight against the spread of the Covid-19 virus:

– Travel between home and the place of professional activity, for activities that cannot be organised by teleworking (with proof) or professional trips that cannot be postponed;

– Travel to make essential purchases in authorised establishments (see list below);

– Travel for health reasons;

– Travel for vital family reasons, for assistance to vulnerable persons or childcare;

– Short trips, close to home, related to the individual physical activity of people, excluding any collective sports practice, and/or related to the needs of pets.

Completed at _____________, on (Date): ____/____/2020


Establishments open

Maintenance and repair of motor vehicles, vehicles, agricultural machinery and equipment
Automobile equipment trade
Sale and repair of motorcycles and cycles
Supplies needed for farms
Retail sale of frozen products
General food trade
Convenience stores
Multi-store shops
Retail sale of fruit and vegetables in specialised stores
Retail sale of meat and meat products in specialised stores
Retail sale of fish, crustaceans and molluscs in specialised stores
Retail sale of bread, pastry and confectionery in specialised stores
Retail sale of beverages in specialised stores
Other food retail trade in specialised stores
Food distributions by charities
Retail sale of fuel in specialised stores
Retail sale of information and communication equipment in specialised stores
Retail sale of computers, peripheral units and software in specialised stores
Retail sale of telecommunications equipment in specialised stores
Retail sale of building materials, hardware, paints and glass in specialised stores
Retail sale of newspapers and stationery in specialised stores
Retail sale of pharmaceutical products in specialised stores
Retail sale of medical and orthopaedic items in specialised stores
Retail sale of pet food and supplies
Food retail on stalls and markets
Sale by vending machines and other retail out of stores, stalls or markets
Hotels and similar accommodation
Tourist accommodation and other short-term accommodation when it constitutes a regular home for people living there
Campsites and parks for caravans or recreational vehicles when they constitute a regular home for the people who live there
Rental and leasing of other machinery, equipment and tangible goods
Rental and leasing of agricultural machinery and equipment
Rental and leasing of construction machinery and equipment
Activities of employment placement agencies
Temporary employment agency activities
Repair of computers and personal and household goods
Repair of computers and communication equipment
Repair of computers and peripheral equipment
Repair of communication equipment
Wholesale laundry
Retail laundry
Funeral services
Financial and insurance activities

You can find more details here on the government site.