You’ll need the right papers to drive or hire a car in Europe


Travellers face a rush to secure insurance ‘green cards’ and permits for post-Brexit trips.

After Brexit, drivers will need a green card for cars and another for caravans, The Times reported on Sunday.

The prime minister’s proposed delay to Brexit is causing a headache for drivers planning to travel to the Continent this year. From the day Britain leaves the European Union, whenever that may be, motorists taking their cars into Europe will have to carry a green card — the international certificate of insurance that guarantees a motorist’s third-party cover — or risk breaking the law and being prevented from continuing on their trip.

They will also need an international driving permit (IDP), whether they take their own car to the Continent or hire one. This is a particular threat to motorists whose journeys cover the days either side of the UK’s departure.

Drivers with no green card or IDP face being fined by local police.

You can find more information here at this link with a summary below:

Driving in the EU and EEA from 12 April 2019

If there is an EU exit deal, UK licence holders will be able to continue to drive in all EU and EEA countries using their UK driving licence.

If there is no EU Exit deal, the government will seek to put in place new arrangements for EU and EEA countries to recognise UK driving licences when people are visiting, for example on holiday or business trips. Until such arrangements are in place, UK driving licence holders may need an IDP in addition to their UK driving licence to drive when visiting EU and EEAcountries

Each EU and EEA country will decide if they require a foreign driver to have an IDP, in addition to a driving licence, to legally drive in their country.

In some circumstances you may need more than one IDP. For example, when driving through France (1968 IDP) to Spain (1949 IDP).

From 12 April 2019, if there is no EU Exit deal or any other relevant agreement, you may need a 1968 IDP to drive in these EU and EEA countries:

Austria Belgium Bulgaria Croatia Czech Republic
Denmark Estonia Finland France Germany
Greece Hungary Italy Latvia Lithuania
Luxembourg Netherlands Norway Poland Portugal
Romania Slovakia Slovenia Sweden

From 12 April 2019, if there is no EU Exit deal, you may need a 1949 IDP to drive in these EU and EEA countries:

  • Cyprus
  • Iceland
  • Malta
  • Spain

Ireland has ratified the 1949 road traffic convention but does not require foreign drivers to carry an IDP in addition to their driving licence.  As such, if you hold a UK driving licence you will not need an IDP to drive in Ireland from 12 April 2019.

From 12 April 2019, if there is no EU Exit deal, you may need a 1926 IDP to drive in Liechtenstein.

Source: The Times,